The Home of the SA GT – My interest in the South African Fairmont GT (SAFTGT), besides wishing to own one, is an attempt to find my Dads red Fairmont GT. After a lot of “googling” I quickly realised there is a wealth of information in various places on the internet. This site is an attempt to gather all information in one area and relaunch the forum that Boxy Rule started some years ago.
Ford South Africa would have been the original source of truth, but unfortunately records were lost when Ford moved from Port Elizabeth to Pretoria in 1986. Over the years information has been collected, therefore there may be conflicting facts and figures on this site. SAFTGT would appreciate feedback on anything that is not correct to ensure what is published is factual.
Enthusiasts in United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia, Germany and New Zealand have dedicated time and large sums of money to ensure the South African Fairmont GT does not rust away. Over the years SA Fairmont GT have been exported from South Africa in various stages of disrepair or near perfect condition and many enthusiasts have restored the SA Fairmont GT to ensure the legend continues.
General fact sheet
- Assembled from parts made by Ford Australia Geelong & Some local content in South Africa.
- Ford Australia confirmed the assembled South African GT in Port Elizabeth was an ” Exported Falcon GT”.
- The Fairmont GT is a full GT – 4 door GT-33
- 1970 – 1972 54H body as per XW/XY GT Falcon manufactured in Australia at the Ford Australia Geelong
- 1970 to March 1971 351 2v Cleveland
- March 1971 to July 1972 351 4v D block Cleveland
- Top loader (shaker) on the XYGT Fairmont as per XY Falcon GT
- MS33 are the numbers given to the Exported Falcon GT, to be re badge Fairmont GT upon completion at Ford Port Elizabeth South Africa.
- The Australian built Falcon GT (JG) was also manufactured on the same assembly line at Broadmeadows
- Non GT Falcons in Brisbane (JH).
- The Australian GT Falcon is actually based on a Fairmont so you could say the SA Fairmont GT is truer to its name.
- Cars were put into Complete Knock Down Form & painted in red oxide paint for there ocean travel & final assembly in South Africa.
- All fitted with Metric guages
- 14X6 JJ steel rim ROH & XTGT hubcaps
- Assembly included, all glass, Trim based on Australian Futura 54C , GT Mirrors, GT dash, steering wheel, console. Bucket seats, and a fully imported 4v 351 Cleveland crate motor, fmx cruise-o-matic (XYGT) C4 XWGT or 4 speed top loader (XYGT) & 9 “ Diff.
- Fairmont GT has it’s own category at the Falcon GT Nationals as accepted by Falcon GT clubs.
I have used a number of images from the internet of various SAFTGT’s for display purposes only. EG colour etc. if anyone is offended please let me know. Otherwise thank you all for allowing me to use these images to support this great cause of saving the SAFTGT alias the Rhino. In South Africa we have the white, black and SAFTGT Rhino
I hope you enjoy this web site, appreciate comments on improvements and further updates to the Fairmont GT legend. Thank you to all those that have contributed to this site and special thanks to: